The 2021 Mass Intention Book is now open for your Mass requests. We will again use the guideline from last year.
- 2 masses per calendar year per deceased person (can be booked for 2 or more deceased members of the person's family).
- Suggested donations $10.00 per Mass Intention & Announcement at Holy Name of Jesus weekend mass
- Suggested donation $25.00 for Tabernacle Candle which runs from Saturday -Friday
- Suggested donations $10.00 per "unannounced mass" which would be sent to a retired priest in a mission territory through the Society of the Propagation of the Faith office of the Diocese of Springfield. The mass would be said for you intention but you would not know when it is scheduled for.
- **It is important that we stick to these guidelines to ensure everyone interested has an equal opportunity to book masses. If there are extra spaces we will make an announcement to give you more availablitiy.**
February 25, 2023
Dear Holy Name of Jesus parishioner,
As Catholics we know that while our faith sustains us in all moments of our lives, we embrace it and need it most during the difficult times we encounter.
Since the COVID outbreak, Mass attendance at Holy Name has been down significantly while operating expenses have increased. As a result, the parish has been unable to meet all of its financial obligations with current income. Unfortunately, while this is a pattern found in other parishes, the situation has become acute at Holy Name. Despite the best efforts of your parish administrator, Deacon David Southworth, and so many of you, it is clear that this trend is no longer sustainable. After a careful review and much prayer, I have reached the difficult decision that the Holy Name of Jesus Parish will be closed effective June 30, 2023.
I understand how heartbreaking this news is to hear. It was a hard but necessary decision to make. As part of this, the two cemeteries currently affiliated with Holy Name Parish, Calvary and St. Patrick cemeteries will be placed under the auspices of the Diocesan Cemeteries office effective July 1, 2023.
Records, administration and upkeep for both cemeteries will be managed through their office at Notre Dame Cemetery, 63 Lyman Street, South Hadley. The phone number is 413 420-0001. In addition, sacramental records from Holy Name of Jesus Parish and the former St. Patrick Parish will be transferred to St. Stanislaus Basilica. Their phone number is 413 594-6669. And records from the former Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. George parishes will be transferred to St. Rose de Lima Parish. Their phone number is 413 536-4558.
The disposition of all patrimony and property will be addressed at a future time with the understanding that after all debts are paid, proceeds will be divided between the Chicopee Fund, as well as for the future upkeep of Calvary and St. Patrick cemeteries.
Again, please know I share in your sadness, especially for those of you who have remained so very faithful to this parish over the years. Although the active life of this parish will come to an end, its great legacy will live on in our faith community. I know that all the nearby Catholic parishes will be prepared to welcome you.
Please know that you will be in my prayers. With prayerful best wishes, I am your friend in Christ, Most Rev. William D. Byrne Bishop of Springfield